The licensing contract
The licensing contract is established by SACD between a member author and a user.
It mentions the title of the work concerned and whether the license is given on an exclusive basis or not.
This contract makes it possible for an author (or his/her rights holders) to:
- authorise a (physical or legal) person to perform a work,
- precisely set the conditions under which the work will be performed.
The main provisions in this contract are as follows :
- duration of the license granted,
- territories of use,
- definition of the mode of use (confined to live performances, whereas audiovisual recording and adaptation rights shall be negotiated under separated contracts),
- author’s remuneration: is always proportional to the proceeds from the work’s exploitation (ratio of royalties, collection calculation basis),
- number of guaranteed performances, minimum amount per performance and cancellation fees,
- specific terms negotiated (advance paymant, ...),
- the procedure for royalties collection by SACD and the various mandatory contributions to which on the user is subject (VAT, social security, other social and administrative contributions).